You might be asking yourself how can I use my PS4 controller on a PS5 console? No doubt at a point in time, there has been in your possession a PS4 console before getting a PS5 gadget.
The console may have been discarded, while still in possession is your DualShock controller. The dual-shock 4 controller can still come handy, and useful if in the event of a damaged ps5 controller or battery juice has run out or other myriad of reasons.
Image of DualShock 4 controller.
Whatever reasons you might have, the good news still remains that the ps4 dual-shock controller can still be useful for your game play on a ps5 console. Caveat, there are certain limitations with this.
YOU CAN’T USE THE PS4 CONSOLE FOR PS5 GAMES:
The biggest limitation that comes with this is that you can’t use the ps4 console for ps5 games. It can be daunting, but you and I aren’t owners of the company nor do we manufacture the consoles software, so we are left out with the only option of accepting it (laughs).
According to PlayStation Blog, an attempt to give a try gives a warning message on the screen:
“Can’t use the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller to play ps5 games.”
Just like an old African proverb “a small jar can’t contain new wine, but an old wine can fit into a big new jar.” It is just the same way in running older applications on a new operating system update, pending the application updates they can be run efficiently.
However, you can’t say the same for applications that have been updated to fit into the new operating system to be compatible with old operating system versions.
The next question that comes to mind is how to make use of the older controller on the new console.
HOW TO PAIR A PS4 CONTROLLER TO A PS5 CONSOLE:
The DualShock 4 controller can be paired toa PS5 console using two methods; wireless connection or usb connection.
Image of PS5 Console and A DualSense controller.
The Usb connection requires a micro-USB connecting cable. This can be achieved following the steps outlined below:
- Connect the micro-USB cable to the ps5 usb port, then connect the other end to the DualShock 4 controller port.
- Press and hold the power button which is also the “PlayStation” button in-between the analog sticks of the controller.
- Wait a few seconds for a flash light indicator, then the controller should have been successfully connected.
When the DualShock controller has successfully connected, you can unplug the connecting cables on both ends, and the controller is now ready to be used wirelessly.
Image source: makeuseof.com
Alternatively, if you wish to skip using the usb connector and connect using the Bluetooth pairing mechanism, it is also possible. This can be achieved following the steps outlined below:
- Navigate to the settings menu. It is depicted by the cog icon on the PS5 home screen.
- Click on Accessories then Bluetooth Accessories.
- If your PS4 controller has been previously connected to the PS5, it will be indicated as “DualShock” under the list of registered accessories.
- However, if you haven’t paired the controller at all, you set the ps4 controller into pairing mode, by switching it off first, followed by pressing and holding the share button and PlayStation button at the same time until the lights flashes.
- On your screen you can see the “DUALSHOCK 4” under the list of Accessories found by the PS5 console, pair the device by tapping the “X” button found on the DUALSHOCK 4
The device can also be unpaired if you eventually have a change of heart, this can be done by viewing the list of Registered accessories, tap the “X” button on the ps4 controller, then on the screen select delete.
Image source: makeuseof.com
IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE PS5 CONTROLLER ON A PS4 CONSOLE?
People can go to the mountain; however, the mountain cannot come to the people. The mountain would always be considered an insurmountable force, as she doesn’t need anyone, but everyone beneath her, needs her. Although we can pair the ps4 controller to the ps5 console, that can’t be said of using the DualSense controller (PS5 controller) on a PS4 Console. There is definitely a tweak to make it possible.
This can be achieved via remote play or the use of an adapter to connect the DualSense controller (PS5 controller) to a PS4 console.
Achieving the pairing of the PS4 DualShock 4, to the PS5 console, gives excitement to game players who do not want to run out of controller in the midst of a game play.
However, we cannot neglect the limitations of not having the ability to play newer games designed only for PS5 consoles. Yet, if you have your friends, partners, or even family members around it is still possible to have fun playing multiplayer PS4 games, on the PS5 console, while using the PS4 DualShock 4 controller.
Please do let us know in the comment section what are your thoughts about this.